It’s exciting to watch our kids grow into their own person. And, it’s hard to lose control and let go.
At the same time, teens require some freedom to build their tribe outside the family. That’s where they’ll uncover their unique gifts. They need resilience to navigate the perception-warping world of social media and other rites of passage. Intense feelings, hormones and difference in opinion can become a turbulent mess.
As a parent to three amazing, challenging, thoughtful and rapidly growing teenagers, I’ve made my share of mistakes in that turbulent mess. Through my background in clinical social work (MSW) I’ve come to realize that no matter how resourceful and loving you are it truly does take a village to raise confident, well-adjusted human beings. You can’t do it all on your own.
And that realization is where my passion for helping parents with teens emerged.
I began an earnest study researching books and articles about parenting teens. Then, I added a certification in professional coaching to my other credentials. And now, in my company Cultivating Resilient Teens, I help parents like you empower your teen daughters to develop a strong sense of self, create meaningful relationships, foster a connective family life and design healthy social scenarios.
You and your teen deserve a thinking partner to create a new kind of harmony.
I am ready to become that partner for you.
When I’m not coaching parents and teens, I’m spending time with my family, including our beloved four-legged “furry boy.” My husband and I try desperately to keep up with our kids, mountain biking, swimming and hiking around our Boulder, Colorado home. Our family fun-fact is that we’ve watched every single season of the reality show Survivor together! (Although I have no desire to be a contestant on the show, I love the competition and intimate personal growth stories.)
Shawna’s Professional Background and Education:
- Coach Training Certification from Coach Training Alliance (CTA), an International Coach Federation (ICF) recognized program, Boulder, Colorado
- Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work (MSW) from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado
- BA in Sociology and Speech Communication from Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Advanced Behavioral Health Clinician (Inpatient, Residential, Day Treatment) with the Devereaux Cleo Wallace Center, Westminster, Colorado
- Social Work Intern, Louisville Elementary School, Louisville, Colorado
- PTA Vice President, Volunteer Coordinator, Reading Volunteer, Eisenhower Elementary School, Boulder, Colorado
- Adult Mentor, Boulder County Partners, The Positive Life Choice Mentoring Program, Boulder, Colorado